Craven District Council

Skip Navigation

Craven District Council

Self-build and custom housebuilding

The council keeps a register of individuals and associations who are seeking to acquire serviced plots of land in order to build their own homes and monitors the granting of planning permission for suitable plots.

The council's self-build and custom housebuilding register provides valuable information on the demand for self-build and custom housebuilding in Craven (outside the Yorkshire Dales National Park) and forms a key part of its evidence base of demand for this type of housing. The council has regard to the register when carrying out its planning, housing, land disposal and regeneration functions.

Planning: The register may be a material consideration in deciding planning applications and will form part of the evidence base for the Strategic Housing Market Assessment.

Housing: The register will be considered in developing plans for new housing on council land and in the preparation of housing strategies.

Land disposal: The register will be considered in developing plans to dispose of council land.

Regeneration: The register will be considered in developing plans for regeneration of the area.

North Yorkshire County Council also has regard to the register when carrying out any responsibilities for housing or redevelopment functions in Craven (outside the national park).

By registering, people will help to build evidence of demand and, therefore, help the council to promote self-build and custom housebuilding in the area. Whilst the register is not a catalogue of plots for sale, the council does monitor the granting of planning permission for suitable plots and includes details of these in its annual report - see below. Advice on finding land is also available via the Self Build Portal.

Apply for entry on the register

Individuals and associations of individuals who are seeking to acquire serviced plots of land in Craven (outside the national park), in order to build homes for themselves, may apply for entry on the self-build and custom housebuilding register via the council's online application service. Select 'Apply as an individual' or 'Apply as an association', according to your circumstances, and you will be taken to the appropriate online application form. People seeking a plot together as a couple or household should select 'Apply as an individual'.

Apply as an individual

Apply as an association

Applications will be decided within 28 days and you will be notified in writing. If you are already on the register and wish to remove or amend your entry, please email details to and we will make the necessary changes.

Annual report

Our latest annual report provides headline data on the demand for and supply of self-build and custom housebuilding plots within Craven (outside the national park) and is available to download below, along with previous annual reports.

Self-build and custom housebuilding data will also be included in the council's Authority Monitoring Report. Personal details, such as the names and addresses of people on the register, are not published or disclosed to third parties. If you would like to know more about how we handle data, please visit the council's Rights of access to information web-page.

Useful links and further reading

The following links will help you learn more about self-build and custom housebuilding in the UK and how to register with the Yorkshire Dales National Park.

The Self Build Portal

National Custom and Self Build Association

Yorkshire Dales National Park Self-Build Register