Craven District Council

Skip Navigation

Craven District Council

Make a Planning Application

Send in a planning application quickly and easily online

The most efficient way to submit an application is online:

  • Through the Planning Portal. Once you have registered for the site, you can complete your application form, buy site location plans, upload supporting documents and pay fees electronically via the Planning Portal.


What type of application is needed?

If permission is needed it is essential to make the right application for the type of permission that you require. For example, in addition to Full applications for planning permission there are different types of planning applications, such as:

  • Outline applications for planning permission
  • Reserved Matters applications
  • Householder Applications for planning permission

There are also a wide variety of other types of permissions and consents that can be applied for such as:

  • Applications for Listed Building Consent
  • Applications for Advertisement Consent
  • Prior Approval Notifications for Telecommunication Installations
  • Prior Approval Notifications for Agricultural Buildings
  • Lawful Development Certificates

Who can apply?

You don't actually need to own land or a building to apply for permission on it. This means you can apply for permission before deciding whether or not to buy a piece of land or a building.

In many cases it is best to appoint an agent to apply for planning permission on your behalf. For example, the architect or the person that drew your plans or a Planning Consultant who may be a member of the Royal Town Planning Institute.

What has to be submitted?

All applications have to be made on standard forms that are used throughout the country.  There are a series of forms available to suit your development.

This should be submitted along with the necessary information which can be found at Validation Requirements for Planning Applications.

What does it cost?

Most applications have to be accompanied by a planning fee that is set nationally by the UK government. The fees that are required can be found on the Planning Portal.

You can pay online on our web page Pay Planning Fees Online.

Obtaining site location plans

Applications need to be supported by site location plans. More detailed advice on what is required is given in the guidance notes for applications. Copies of Ordnance Survey Maps that can be used as a site location plan can be obtained from a number of retailers including Ordnance Survey itself.