Craven District Council

Skip Navigation

Craven District Council

Paying your Council Tax

Information collected and stored by Craven District Council when collecting Council Tax.

What information do we collect from you?

When you advise the Council that you are liable for Council Tax for a property, we will ask you for your name, and the address for which you are liable for Council Tax. The Council will ask you how you intend to pay the Council Tax. The Council will ask you how you wish to pay your Council tax whether by lump sum or instalments, and if you wish to pay in instalments we will ask you for your bank details.

Why do we collect this information?

Your name is requested so as to confirm who is the liable Council Tax payer. If appropriate, we will ask for your bank details so that you can pay by direct debit or standing order.

Who might we share this information with?

The Council will not share any of the information that it holds about you with any third party, without your consent, except where allowed by law. The Council is permitted to share the information that you have provided with other organisations, for example, in order to make sure that the information it holds is correct, to protect public funds and to prevent or detect crime.

What do we do with your information?

The information that you have provided will be held by the Council and will only be accessed by authorised Council employees. We will only use the information that you have provided for the purpose of your liability for Council Tax, and will not use it for any other Council purpose, unless this is provided by law.

How long do we keep hold of your information?

The Council will keep hold of your information in accordance with the following rules:

• For as long as you are the liable person for paying the Council Tax on your property.
• After you have ceased to be the liable person for the property, as long as is necessary based on any legal and regulatory requirements.

How can I access the information you hold about me?

You can make a Subject Access Request online or by writing to the Data Protection Officer, Craven District Council, Belle Vue Square, Broughton Road, Skipton, BD23 1FJ.


If you wish to complain about the way that the Council has handled your information, please write to the above address.

If you remain dissatisfied with the Council’s response, you have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office as it can investigate the Council’s compliance with data protection law.