Craven District Council

Skip Navigation

Craven District Council

Complaints and Comments

How to make a complaint or send us comments on our services.

Craven District Council is committed to providing the highest level of service to all our customers

We actively encourage feedback, both good and bad, from customers to help us improve


We define a complaint as an “expression of dissatisfaction about Council Services that requires a response”

We have a Complaints and Compliments procedure which is designed to make sure we ‘right the wrongs’ and continually improve our services

You can read more about our Complaints, Compliments and Comments procedure here

How we can help

To make sure we can provide the best possible advice, you might want to consider if there are other ways we can help by:

What we can't help with:

Some services are carried out by North Yorkshire County Council. These include:

  • Gritting roads in the winter
  • Road maintenance including potholes
  • Street lighting
  • The condition of pavements

These are the responsibility of North Yorkshire County Council. Use this form to make a complaint to North Yorkshire County Council


Use the North Yorkshire County Council online roadworks map to find out about roadworks in your area

What happens after I make a complaint?

  1. Once the complaint is received we will acknowledge the complaint, undertake an initial assessment of what action is required and attempt to resolve the complaint within five working days 
  1. If we cannot resolve the complaint within five working days, we will refer the matter to the appropriate Service Manager for a more detailed response. We will also advise the person who made the complaint of the next steps. The Service Manager will aim to deal with the complaint within 10 working days. If we are unable to do so, we will advise on when the response will be ready 
  1. If the person making the complaint is not satisfied following the response from the Service Manager, the complaint will be referred to the Council’s Chief Executive. The Chief Executive who will either deal with this personally, or refer the complaint to a member of the Council’s Corporate Leadership team. We aim to respond within 10 working days. If we are unable to do so, we will advise on when the response will be ready

Download the Complaints, Comments and Compliments Procedure

If you are not happy with the Council's handling of your complaint, you can refer it to the Local Government Ombudsman: you can find further details on the Local Government Ombudsman web site.

Make a complaint

Customer Charter

Our Customer Charter is available here: Customer Charter

We welcome your constructive feedback about our service.