Craven District Council

Craven District Council

Council Tax spending

Most properties are subject to Council Tax, which helps to pay for the cost of local services. Find out where your money goes.

Council tax is used to pay for local services. As well as our own, it pays for services from North Yorkshire County Council, North Yorkshire Police Authority and North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Authority.

Where does each pound I pay go?

This year Craven District Council must collect £37.543m from Council Taxpayers. From each pound collected, about 70p will go to North Yorkshire County Council and 13p will go to the Police and Crime Commissioner North Yorkshire.

A further 4p will go to the North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Authority and about 3p will go to Town and Parish Councils.

Only 10p of each pound collected is spent on services provided by Craven District Council.

Who is Liable to Pay?

Usually the person who lives in the property will pay the Council Tax, providing it is their sole or main residence and they are over 18 years of age.

If more than one person lives in the property, then it is the person who comes first on the following list who will pay:

  • owner who lives in the property
  • tenant who lives in the property
  • any person who lives in the property
  • owner who does not live in the property

People who are joint owners or joint tenants will be jointly and severally liable for the bill.  Married couples, and those living together as husband and wife, will also be jointly responsible for paying the bill whether or not hey have an equal interest in the property.