Craven District Council

Skip Navigation

Craven District Council

Postal Votes

Postal Votes

To vote by post you need to complete a Postal Vote Application Form.

Return it to the Electoral Registration Office, Craven District Council, 1 Belle Vue Square, Broughton Road, Skipton, BD23 1FJ no later than 5pm, 11 working days before an election. We can also accept scanned copies of completed forms via email to

Frequently Asked Questions

Who can apply for a postal vote?

Anyone aged 18 or over can apply for a postal vote.  You do not need a reason to vote by post, but you must be registered on the electoral roll.

If you are acting as a proxy for someone you can also do so by post but you need to fill in a separate application application form which is in the Downloads section.

Is there a deadline in order to get a postal vote?

You can apply for a postal vote at any time, but when there is an election, we must receive the completed application at least 11 working days before that election in order for it to be effective.

Where can my postal vote be sent?

A postal vote can be sent to your home address or any other address you give.  Postal votes can be sent overseas, but you need to consider whether there is time to receive and return your ballot paper by polling day.

How do I cast my vote?

Your ballot paper will be sent to you between 7 and 8 working days before the election.

When  you receive your ballot paper, mark your vote.  You must also complete a postal vote statement with your date of birth and your signature.  Return both documents in the prepaid envelope.  If you are sending from abroad, you will need to pay the postage.

Make sure you send back your postal vote so that it arrives by election day.  If it arrives after voting closes, it will not be counted.  If it is too late to post back, you can hand it in at your local polling station or get it to the Returning Officer at your local council on polling day.

If your postal vote does not arrive or you make a mistake, you are entitled to be issued with a replacement.  You can do this by visiting the Elections Office, 1 Belle Vue Square, Broughton Road, Skipton, BD23 1FJ, before 5pm on the day of the poll.  You will need to bring with you one piece of official photo identity or two forms of non-photo identity.

How is it counted?

The signature and date of birth on your postal vote statement will be checked against those details you originally provided.  Your vote will not be counted if any statements are found without a date of birth / signature or with a differing date of birth / signature.  Your postal ballot paper will then be mixed with all the others before counting begins.  Your vote will be kept secret.

What do I do if I can no longer make a signature?

If you are unable to make a signature because of disability or ill health, you can still vote by post.  You need to apply on a special application form called a Postal Vote Waiver.

What do I do if I already have a postal vote but my signature has changed because I have got married or I have changed my name through deed poll?

You will need to complete another postal vote application.  This is so that, at an election, the signature you supply with your ballot paper will always match the signature provided on your application.  If the signatures do not match your vote will not be counted.