Craven District Council

Skip Navigation

Craven District Council

Flooding - useful contact numbers

Useful contact details are given below.

Flooding of or from the Public Highway

To report flooding of the public highway, blocked road gullies and gratings, or blocked watercourses contact North Yorkshire County Council on  0845 872 7374

The regular cleansing of all road gullies is undertaken twice a year; however, parked vehicles can sometimes prevent a gully from being cleansed, which might then lead to flooding.


Flooding that affects electricity supply

Northern Power Grid - Flooding advice


Flooding from a burst water main

The local water supply company is United Utilities or Yorkshire Water. They are responsible for their supply up to and including the water stopcock.

United Utilities - Emergencies

Yorkshire Water - Emergency Flooding

Flooding from a water service pipe or internal pipe work

This is the responsibility of the homeowner or landlord and would need the attention of a plumber.

Flooding from a main river

The main rivers are the responsibility of the Environment Agency

Environment Agency - Flooding

They also have useful information for people who live close to a water course called 'Living on The Edge'

Flooding from ditches, and watercourses other than main rivers

Watercourses, other than main rivers, are the responsibility of riparian owners. You are a riparian owner if your property or land is on, or very near, a watercourse. Riparian owners have a duty to keep the watercourse clear of any obstruction to flow and we can serve legal notices on riparian owners to deal with obstructions or lack of maintenance. Some of these ditches and watercourses have been piped and you may not even be aware of its existence.


Free flood alert

Businesses and Homes in Craven can register with the Environment Agency's FREE flood alert service. By signing up to the alert service businesses and residents will be contacted when there is a risk of flooding in their area.

Whilst registering for the free flood alert service there is other help available including creating your own flood plan and advice on how to adapt your property and lifestyle if you are in a flood plain.

Environment Agency - Register With Floodline Warnings Direct