Craven District Council

Skip Navigation

Craven District Council

Club Premises Certificate

Club Premises Certificate

To authorise the supply of alcohol and regulated entertainment in a qualifying club you need a club premises certificate from your local authority. In a qualifying club there is technically no sale by retail of alcohol (except to guests) as the member owns part of the alcohol stock and the money passing across the bar is merely a mechanism to preserve equity between members where one may consume more than another. In order to constitute a qualifying club you must also satisfy the various requirements set out in the Licensing Act 2003.

EU Services Directive

This activity is within scope of the directive. If you are setting up/running a business in the UK, but are based overseas from another EU state, you may find the UK welcomes business licence and regulation tool useful, in addition to the Council's own web pages.

Eligibility Criteria

Clubs must be qualifying clubs. A qualifying club has general conditions it must satisfy. These are:

  • a person may not be given memberships or as a candidate for membership to any membership privileges without an interval of at least two days from their membership application or nomination and their membership being granted
  • that club rules state that those becoming members without nomination or application cannot have membership privileges for at least two days between them becoming members and being admitted to the club
  • that the club is established and conducted in good faith
  • that the club has at least 25 members
  • that alcohol is only supplied to members on the premises on behalf or by the club

Additional conditions in relation to the supply of alcohol must be complied with. These conditions are:

  • that alcohol purchased for and supplied by the club is done by members of club who are over 18 years of age and are elected to do so by the members
  • that no person at the expense of the club receives any commission, percentage or other similar payment in regard to the purchase of alcohol by the club
  • that there are no arrangements for anyone to receive a financial benefit from supplying alcohol, apart from any benefit to the club or to any person indirectly from the supply giving a gain from running the club

Registered industrial and provident societies and friendly societies will qualify if the alcohol is purchased for and supplied by the club under the control of the members or a committee of members.

Relevant miners' welfare institutes can also be considered. A relevant institute is one that is managed by a committee or board that consists of at least two thirds of people appointed or elevated by one or more licensed operators under the Coal Industry Act 1994 and by one or more organisations who represent coal mine employees. The institute can be managed by the committee or board where the board cannot be made up as detailed above but is made up of at least two thirds of members who were employed or are employed in or around coal mines and also by people who were appointed by the Coal Industry Welfare Organisation or by a body who had similar functions under the Miners' Welfare Act 1952. In any case the premises of the institute must be held on a trust as required under the Recreational Charities Act 1958.

Regulation Summary

A summary of the eligibility criteria for this licence

Application Evaluation Process

A club can apply for a club premises certificate for any premises which are occupied and used regularly for club purposes.

Applications should be made to the local licensing authority, which will be the local authority where the premises are situated.

Applications should be submitted with a plan of the premises which must be in a specific format, a copy of the rules of the club and a club operating schedule.

A club operating schedule is a document which must be in a specific format and which includes information on:

•the activities of the club

•the times the activities are to take place

•other opening times

•if alcohol supplies are for consumption on or off the premises or both

•the steps that the club propose to take to promote the licensing objectives

•any other information that is required

If there any alterations to the rules or name of the club before an application is determined or after a certificate is issued, the club secretary must give details to the local licensing authority. If a certificate is in place this must be sent to the licensing authority when they are notified.

If a certificate is in place and the registered address of the club changes, the club must give notice to the local licensing authority of the change and provide the certificate with the notice.

A club may apply to a local licensing authority to vary a certificate. The certificate should accompany the application.

The local licensing authority may inspect the premises before an application is considered.

Fees may be payable for any type of application relating to a club premises certificate.

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

Yes, except for applications for minor variations to premises licences or club premises certificates. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period.

Target Completion Period

50 calendar days.

Apply Online

Craven District Council cannot receive online club premises applications. This feature will be available in the near future.

Apply by Post

Advertising Applications

Statutory Blue Notices are for premises licences applications, variations and club premises certificates. The notice should be displayed at the premises on A4 blue paper for 28 days. Day 1 is the day following the day the complete application is received at the Local Authority. If you are unsure please check with us. Please be aware this document should be printed on blue paper as required by Regulation 25 of the Licensing Act 2003. 

New Application Notice [24kb] 

Variation Application Notice [24kb]

Premises licences applications, variations and club premises certificates must also be advertised in a local newspaper at least once during the ten working days after your application has been given to the council.

Minor Variations require a statutory notice to be displayed on white A4 paper at the premises for 10 working days starting on the day after the day on which the application was given to Craven District Council.

Minor Variation Notice [25kb]


Address: Licensing, Craven District Council, 1 Belle Vue Square, Broughton Road, Skipton, North Yorkshire, BD23 1FJ

Phone: 01756 706251


Failed Application and Licence Holder Redress

Please contact us in the first instance.

Applicants and holders of club premises certificates can appeal when:

  • an application for a club premises certificate is refused
  • an application to vary a club premises certificate is refused
  • conditions are put on a club premises certificate
  • variations are made to the conditions of a club premises certificate
  • a club activity is excluded
  • the club premises certificate is withdrawn by the Council, or
  • against the decision of a review

Appeals must be made to the local Magistrates' Court within 21 days of the decision appealed.

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice Consumer Service will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

A club member may request a review of the certificate. The local licensing authority will give reasons for their response to the application in a notice.

Appeals against the decision of a review can be made.

Appeals must be made to the local Magistrates' court within 21 days of the decision appealed.

Other Redress

Any interested party may make representations to the local licensing authority before the certificate is granted or before amendments to a certificate are granted. If representations are made a hearing will be held to consider the application and the representations. Notices will be made by the local licensing authority detailing the reasons for any outcome. Interested parties who made representations will receive notice of a failed application.

An interested party is:

•a person living near the premises or a body representing such a person

•a person involved in a business near the premises or a body representing such a person

An interested party may request a review of the club premises certificate. The local licensing authority will give reasons for their response to the application in a notice.

An interested party may appeal if they argue that a certificate should not have been granted or that different or additional conditions or limitations on activities should have been made. They may also appeal against any variation of a condition.

Appeals against the decision of a review can be made.

Appeals must be made to the local Magistrates' court within 21 days of the decision appealed.

Trade Associations

Register of Club Premises Certificates

Click Here


Club Premises Certificate Applications received by Craven District Council can be viewed online. Please click here to view current applications.

Fire Safety Advice

Below is a link to North Yorkshire Fire & Rescue business safety website which may be helpful to applicants and premises licence holders.

NYFRS business safety website: