Craven District Council

Skip Navigation

Craven District Council

Roads, highways and pavements

Information on Roads, highways and pavements in the Craven District.

Roads maintenance

Roads, pavements and roadside verges in Craven are maintained by North Yorkshire County Council.

Roadworks by energy and telephone companies, property developers and private citizens are also coordinated by North Yorkshire County Council.

To report a pothole or discuss road maintenance in the Craven district you must contact North Yorkshire County Council.

Find out about roads maintenance on the North Yorkshire County Council website.

Temporary road closures

Craven District Council has the power to make temporary road closure orders to facilitate local (non-sporting) events, e.g. gala processions, and Christmas markets.

Please use these documents to apply to Craven District Council for this type of temporary road closure:

Download a temporary road closure application form and information pack

All applicants must complete an event notification form for circulation to the Craven Safety Advisory Group (attached in the information pack).

For sporting or large scale events e.g. the Olympic Torch Relay, Tour de France, the County Council has power to make temporary road closure orders.


Notification of road closures, diversions and possible traffic disruption as a result of road works that are underway or programmed to take place within the area. Under the New Roads and Street works Act 1991: s112 the County Council are obliged to publish a register of road adoptions and road works, which is available for public inspection.

Information on this service is provided by North Yorkshire County Council.

Road gritting

Gritting of primary and secondary roads is done by North Yorkshire County Council when weather conditions may prove hazardous (i.e. freezing temperatures).

North Yorkshire County Council may also provide grit bins for public use on roads and pavements in potentially dangerous areas.