We will collect a wide range of items that are too big to go in your refuse bin, such as broken and unwanted furniture, sofas and chairs, beds and kitchen appliances.
We do not take any fixtures and fittings. Please see below for more details on what we will and will not collect.
We charge £28.00 for up to 3 items then an additional £8.00 for each additional item, up to 5 items.
- Up to 3 items: £28.00
- 4 items: £36.00
- 5 items: £44.00
- Over 5 items: from £55.00 (please note this price may vary depending on the number of items)
Please note: Carpets/underlay/lino must be rolled up or cut up and placed into bags. 1 room carpet will be classed as 1 item.
What we class as 1 item
From 1 April 2016 we changed how we charge some of the larger items for disposal. Some items which were previously treated as 1 item will now be treated as 2 or more items. A few examples are listed below -
Bed base, Mattress, Headboard = 3 items
Dining Table and 4 chairs = 5 items
3 Piece Suite = 3 items
2 Piece Suite = 2 items
Arrange a collection
To arrange a collection you can contact Customer Services on 01756 700600 or call in at:
- 1 Belle Vue Square, Broughton Road, Skipton
- Settle Library (every Friday of the month, between 2.00 - 4.00pm)
Before you contact Customer Services, please ensure you have the following information ready:
- your full name
- address and telephone number
- a precise list of items for collection and their location
- a date from when the items will be available for collection
- your payment details (if payment by credit or debit card)
- We will only take items which you request us to take and these must be readily available outside, but within your property boundary, by 7.00am on the day of collection.
- Only in exceptional circumstances will we enter private property. The resident must be present and will be asked to sign an insurance disclaimer for any accidental damage that may be caused.
- Collections must be paid for in advance of the Council arranging the collection. Refunds will not be provided.
- We aim to collect items within 10 working days of receiving payment. Please note collection times may vary dependent upon the demand for the service. Collection time will be advised at the time of booking.
- During busier times we will not be able to add any additional items if a request is made after the original booking has been received.
How to pay
Payments can be made by the following methods:
Please note: we are no longer taking cash payments.
- by telephone using a credit or debit card by contacting Customer Services on 01756 700600
- pay by cheque, credit or debit card in person at 1 Belle Vue Square, Broughton Road, Skipton
- pay by cheque through the post to: Craven District Council, Customer Services, 1 Belle Vue Square, Broughton Road, Skipton, North Yorkshire, BD23 1FJ
Please send cheques with your name, full address and case number on the back. The case number will be given to you once your bulky request has been received by Customer Services.
Examples of large items that Waste Management Services can and can't collect
Examples of items that we are able to collect
|Examples of items that we are NOT ableto collect|
|Armchairs / Chairs
Bed base, Mattress, Headboard
Carpets / Underlay / Lino
Christmas Trees (artificial only)
Computers (inc Monitors) / Laptops
Computer Chairs / Tables
Cookers / Dishwashers
Dining Room Chairs / Tables
DIY Tools (eg. drill, hammer, saw)
Electric Radiators / Storage Heaters (if bricks are removed)
Exercise Equipment (eg. treadmill)
Fridges / Freezers
Garden Waste (bagged / bundled)
Gardening Tools (eg. strimmer, fork)
Lawn Mower (electric / petrol)
Living Room Furniture (eg. cabinets)
Kitchen Equipment (eg. kettle, toaster)
Prams / Push Chairs
Sofas (2 seater & 3 seater)
Stereos / Hi-Fi's / Speakers
Video / DVD Players
Washing Machines / Tumble Dryers
Aerials / Satellite Dishes *
* these items can be taken to your local household waste recycling centre. Charges will apply to rubble and hardcore waste.
**you may contact North Yorkshire County Council (01609) 534527 for advice on disposal of these items.
Fly tipping is illegal and dumped bulky waste items like fridges and freezers pose a real hazard to children, pets or wildlife who may become harmed or trapped inside. Anyone found to be illegally fly tipping, could be fined up to £20,000 (unlimited if the case goes to the Crown Court) or offenders can even be sent to prison.
Reduce, re-use, recycle
- Local charity shops and re-use organisations are always looking for high quality items to pass on to individuals and families who may not be able to buy new furniture. e.g. Craven Recycled Furniture Centre, Gas St, Skipton BD23 2AE, tel 01756 799099.
- You could also advertise your unwanted items on Freegle (formerly Freecycle). This website enables you to advertise items that you no longer need but may be just what someone next door is looking for! There are other recycling organisations on the Recycling Group Finder website.
- Some high street retailers provide an in-store take-back scheme to customers for electrical and electronic items, when you purchase a new item from them
- Alternatively, you may take bulky items to one of the Household Waste Recycling Centres, free of charge.
- If you hire a contractor to take away your waste, please ensure they are a licensed waste carrier. This means that the contractor will dispose of your waste in accordance with the law. If you are unsure, ask to see their carrier's certificate of registration or contact the Environment Agency on 08708 506 506 or visit the Environment Agency web site.