Craven District Council

Skip Navigation

Craven District Council

Garden waste collection

The fortnightly garden waste collection service is an annual subscription service which provides a simple and cost effective way to dispose of your garden waste.

Residents who subscribe to the service will be required to pay a small annual fee and will be provided with a brown 240 litre wheeled bin which will be emptied every two weeks from March to November.  There are no collections during the winter months December to February. Residents are required to place the brown bin at the edge of their property, by 6.30am on the day of collection, with the licence displayed. 

The annual cost of the garden waste subscription service for 2021/22 is £36.00 per licence.  We can collect more than one brown bin per property; you just need a subscription for each bin.

Collections will be suspended for the winter from late November to February and this is accounted for in the annual subscription fee.

Garden Waste Winter Break Collections for 2021-22

Collections will cease for the winter break -

Week One - Week Commencing 15 November 2021
Week Two - Week Commencing  22 November 2021

Collection will start again following the winter break -

Week One - Week Commencing 21 February 2022
Week Two
- Week Commencing 28 February 2022

Pay and renew your Garden waste


You can pay for and renew your garden waste subscription for the 2021/22 season online. You will need your 8 digit reference number found on your renewal letter.  If you have not received your renewal letter by the 22 February, please contact our Customer Services team on 01756 700600 or email 

Renew your Garden Waste subscription

New subscribers - register an interest

If you would like to join the Council's garden waste collection service, please use our form below to register your details. If your property is eligible to join the service we will provide you with your reference number within 5 working days.  

Apply to join the Garden Waste Collection Scheme

Receiving and using your new licence

Once payment has been received, you will receive a letter through the post confirming that you have subscribed to the service along with your licence sticker.  If you have subscribed for more than one brown bin, you will receive a sticker for each bin in your pack.

The licence sticker will need to be affixed to the back of your brown bin (handle facing) and be clearly visible, as this indicates to the collection crew that you have paid for the service.

Only your reference and address will appear on the licence. Bins presented for collection with no valid licence will not be emptied.

Please note that those who subscribe to the service on or before 7th March 2021 can expect to receive their new licence sticker from week commencing 15th March 2021. Residents subscribing after this date can expect to receive their licence sticker within 14 days of making payment.

Other information

Can I join part way through the year?

You can join the scheme at any time however you will be required to pay the full annual amount, so join early to benefit from the maximum number of collections.

Are all Craven properties eligible for the service?

Please note that unfortunately, it is not possible for us to include all properties in the District on the garden waste collection service. Properties that are not eligible for the service can compost their garden waste at home or alternatively can be taken to your local household waste recycling centre free of charge of composting.

Moving house

The garden waste licence is only valid for the property for which it was originally purchased and is non-transferable.  Unfortunately we cannot offer a refund if you move within or outside of the district or to a property where you no longer require the garden waste service.  However you may leave your licence for the new occupants if there is any remaining term remaining.

Share with a neighbour

If you would like to share your brown bin with a neighbour (you can share the service charge with them, informally).  We will require the full amount and the bin will need to registered and collected at one address.

Requesting a replacement bin

Please use our online form to request a replacement brown bin if yours has been lost, stolen, or damaged.  Please note a charge may be made to replace lost/stolen bins.

Lost, stolen or damaged licence

You can report a lost, stolen or damaged licence online:

Garden Waste - Report a lost, stolen or damaged licence

Missed collections

To report a missed collection of your refuse and/or recycling, please complete our online form.

What if I don't want to renew my subscription?

Residents who do not wish to renew their subscription can request removal of a brown bin online.

Garden waste can either be taken to your nearest household waste recycling centre for composting free of charge, alternatively it can be composted at home.

Where does the garden waste go?

We collect approximately 3,400 tonnes of garden waste per year which is composted at Yorwaste's Composting Facility at Scorton in Richmond, North Yorkshire.

brown bin

What can go in the brown bin? 

  • Grass cuttings
  • Hedge clippings
  • Tree and bush prunings
  • Weeds and plants
  • Dead flowers and houseplants
  • Leaves
  • Fallen garden vegetables or fruit

We will not take...

  • Flower trays, pots, or plastic
  • Large branches
  • Paper or cardboard
  • Kitchen or catering waste
  • Wood
  • Soil or stones
  • Any other household waste

Home composting

Home composting is an alternative to garden waste collection or helps reduce the volume that has to be carried away, and it's good for your garden. 

Special offer compost bins

The York and North Yorkshire Waste Partnership is offering residents in York and North Yorkshire the chance to purchase compost bins at a fantastic price. Subsidised compost bins are available in two sizes for all residents, with delivery to your address.

Compost bins are available from just £12.00 (plus £5.99 delivery).  You can also 'buy one, get one half price' when you buy two of the same bin.

Two sizes of compost bin are available:

  • 220-litre Compost Converter at £12.00 (excluding delivery) 

  • 330-litre Compost Converter at £15.00 (excluding delivery) 

Compost bins are also on sale at North Yorkshire County Council's Household Waste Recycling Centre in Skipton, where residents can buy a 330-litre home compost bin for £15. Bins are limited to two per household and residents must take proof of their address. Payment must be made by credit/debit card only. Visit or for opening hours.

Other products such as caddies, wormeries and kitchen composters can also be purchased online - download our composting leaflet

To order a bin, please call 0844 571 4444 quoting reference NYC01L or please visit

Compost bins from a garden centre typically cost £40 so you can save a lot by buying bins this way.

Both the 220 litre and 330 litre compost bins are called Compost Converters. The units are made from 100% recycled plastic with windproof secure push-fit lid and removable side hatch. The bins are guaranteed for 15 years.

Compost at Home booklet now available

The 'Composting at Home' booklet is a quick and easy guide to composting at home and provides advice on using your finished compost.  If you would like a copy, please contact Waste Management on 01756 700600 or email