Welcome to Skipton Town Hall, home to Craven Museum, Exhibition Gallery, Concert Hall and Tourist Information Centre.
Skipton Town Hall is now closed for redevelopment until 2021. Skipton Information & Visitor Centre has been temporarily relocated to 35 Coach Street.
Craven Museum has been conducting outreach and events throughout the redevelopment as part of our Heritage Lottery Funded project Stories & Treasures of Street & Dale. Our Concert Hall performances have also been on tour around the district. These activities have currently been suspended following government advice.
The Town Hall is currently undergoing some major changes to complete its transformation into an exciting and important cultural hub for Craven; the building is being lovingly restored, developed and improved for the benefit of our community and visitors to Craven. Please see Skipton Town Hall Development for further information.
Brief history of the Town Hall
Skipton Town Hall was built in 1862, on the site of the former vicarage of Holy Trinity Church. The main hall was altered, with its height increased, in 1878 and was run as a public function room by a private company.
When Skipton Urban District Council was created in 1895, it bought the building to be the Town Hall, replacing the 'Old Town Hall' on Sheep Street. Late in the 19th century, a canopy of glass and ornate wrought iron was added on the front, but this was demolished during the 1950s. An extension was built in 1935 to increase office space.
Also located in the Town Hall is the council chamber where for over 100 years councils have held meetings; a particular point of interest in the chamber are the benches and chairs which were made by the legendary furniture maker Robert "Mouseman" Thompson.
Sign up to our newsletter and get the latest town hall news straight to your inbox